Skip to main content

Homeless Program

Hurricane Harvey Resources in Montgomery County

Information for Incoming Homeless Students

The Federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvement Act and
Texas State Law guarantees that you can enroll school if you live in the following:

1. In a shelter (family shelter, domestic violence shelter, youth shelter or transitional living program)
2. In a motel, hotel or weekly-rate housing;
3. In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic
hardship or loss;
4. In an abandoned building, a car, at a campground, or on the street
5. In substandard housing (no electricity, no water, and/or heat; or with friends or family
because you re a runaway or unaccompanied youth.

If you live in one of these situations you may

You can continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled, even if you have moved way from that school’s attendance zone or district you can receive transportation
from your current residence back to your school of origin.


Qualify automatically for Child Nutrition Programs
(free and reduced price lunch and other district food programs)


Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible.


Homeless Resources