The single most important thing you can do for a child is…Read for a Better Life!
Read for a Better Life Day is September 20, 2017.
What can you do at home?
- Choose a time to read aloud to your children at least once a day.
- Show your children that reading is fun – let them see you read.
- Keep books handy to fill the time when you travel, shop, or have a doctor’s appointment.
- It is never too late to read aloud to your child – even high school students benefit from reading every day.
What can we do as a community?
- Volunteer to read to children in a school or daycare.
- Support your schools by donating books and time.
- Show CISD’s “Read for a Better Life” website to your clients, patients, friends, and family.
- Provide books to read while children and parents are in the reception/waiting areas of your office/business.
What do the experts say?
“Begin reading to children as soon as possible. The younger you start them, the easier and better it is.”
“Children who are read to at least three times a week by a family member are almost twice as likely to score in the top 25% in reading than children who are read to less than three times a week.”
National Institute for Literacy
“Success in reading is a gateway to success in other academic areas.”
Jordan, Snow, and Prosche, 2000
The percentage of young children read aloud to daily by a family member is one indicator of how well young children are prepared for school.”
National Center for Education Statistics
U.S. Department of Education