Over 1,500 students from across Conroe ISD participated in the Chevron Phillips Chemical Senior High Science Fair and the Entergy Junior High Science Fair, the District’s science fair, on Friday, February 2, as part of the Education for Tomorrow Alliance’s (EfTA) SCI://TECH event series.
For this event, the largest science fair in Texas and one of the largest in the nation, seventh through twelfth grade students submitted research projects in one of the life science or physical science categories. Volunteer judges then ranked the students on their research and presentation skills.
At the awards ceremony held on Saturday, February 3, U.S. Congressman Kevin Brady along with Conroe ISD Superintendent Dr. Don Stockton, Judge Craig Doyal, and Ron Corn, Senior Vice President of Petrochemicals for Chevron Phillips Chemical, congratulated the Chevron Phillips Chemical Senior High School Science Fair first place winners.
Student winners are as follows:
Ninth Grade Division
- Animal Science (Zoology): Kate Lee
- Behavioral/Social Science: Michal Wood
- Biochemistry/Microbiology: Hayley Jue
- Chemistry: Rebecca Lau
- Computer Science: Vinay Mannem
- Earth/Space Science: Steven Drabbant
- Energy & Transportation: Ashley Gibson
- Engineering (Aerospace): Andrew Hart
- Engineering (Electrical/Mechanical/Civil): Logan Murray
- Engineering (Chemical): Alex Deng
- Environmental Science: Katherine Forbes
- Mathematics: Michael Sowell
- Medicine/Health: Akhil Marupudi
- Physics & Astronomy: Sebastian Saenz-Saenz
- Plant Science: Dennis Moreno
- Robotics & Intelligent Machines: Peyton Williams
- Team – Life Science: Natalya Priser and Claire Shi
- Team – Physical Science: John “Jack” Wadsworth and Zoe Wang
Senior High Division
- Engineering (Materials & Bioengineering): Vishnu Murthy
- Animal Science: Anette Sandoval
- Behavioral/Social: Anya Kacker
- Biochemistry: Sanjanaa Senthilkumar
- Chemistry: Clara Victorio
- Computer Science: Matthew Winningham
- Earth/Space: Viridiana Barrera
- Energy and Transportation: Praneel Joshi
- Engineering (Electrical/Mechanical/Civil/Aerospace): Santiago Camargo
- Engineering (Materials and Bioengineering): Andrew Kim
- Engineering (Chemical): Adham Kassem
- Environmental Science: Hudson Nash
- Mathematics: Brendan Alam
- Medicine/Health: Darryl Previlor
- Physics & Astronomy: Agustina Demagistris
- Plant Science: Phillip Nikolov
- Robotics & Intelligent Machines: Connor Kounthapanya
- Team – Life Science: Galio Guo, Jaimie Lee, and Katherine Zhao
- Team – Physical Science: Michael Gerhard and Kabir Jolly
- Team – Ninth Grade – Life Science: Natalya Priser and Claire Shi
- Team – Ninth Grade – Physical Science: John “Jack” Wadsworth and Zoe Wang
- Team – Senior High – Life Science: Galio Guo, Jaimie Lee, and Katherine Zhao
- Team – Senior High – Physical Science: Michael Gerhard and Kabir Jolly
Each year, approximately one quarter of the students who participate in the Science and Engineering Fair of Houston qualify through their participation in the science fair held during SCI://TECH. Conroe ISD is proud to send over 250 junior high and high school students to compete in the 59th Annual Science Engineering Fair of Houston on February 23 – 24.
“Conroe ISD students continue to excel in Science Fair because of the hard work of the students, support of their parents, and commitment of their teachers in providing an investigative approach to teaching science,” commented Conroe ISD Coordinator of Science Sheryl Hime.
This year’s ceremony also included a new presentation, the awarding of the Dr. Don Stockton Award of Excellence which will be awarded annually to an educator who demonstrates exceptional commitment to science education through his or her involvement in the SCI://TECH Exposition. The inaugural award, named in honor of Dr. Stockton for his support of the EfTA and STEM programs, was presented to Conroe ISD science teacher Janene Fowler for her dedication in fostering the love of science in her students and helping make Sci:\\Tech events such a success.
Additional information about the Science Engineering Fair can be found at https://www.sefhouston.org/. For information about Sci://Tech, please visit http://www.efta-us.org/events/2017-sci-tech-exposition.